No full coverage for Coherence

The TERRASCOPE_S1_SLC_COHERENCE_V1 collection claims in the description the full coverage however when an AOI is applied outside of the belgium area it does not return any data out.

Could you either change the description or add global data?

1 Like

Hi Andrea,
A lot of collections contain data scattered around the world, causing them to have much larger spatial extents then the actual data it contains.
We’re now adding viewer links to the metadata, which is a much better way of finding out the extent.

What I basically try to do is mention ‘selected areas’ in the title, but I would say we should update the description as well.
We’ve gotten similar questions before, but no great solutions yet!

Jeroen

1 Like

@jeroen.dries Not sure how many areas you have, but would it be an option to provide multiple bounding boxes? STAC allows that and the viewer would also recognize that:

The first bounding box always describes the overall spatial extent of the data. All subsequent bounding boxes can be used to provide a more precise description of the extent and identify clusters of data.

see https://github.com/radiantearth/stac-spec/blob/master/collection-spec/collection-spec.md#spatial-extent-object

I’m aware of that feature, but the problem is that it’s dynamic, and retrieving it on the fly would slow down metadata generation heavily, so we would need to set up a caching system.
And then there’s the other problem that the temporal extent can also vary per area. Hence, when a user is interested in querying data availability, I recommend using the /validate endpoint to get an overview of how many tiles are not available, or even using the catalog behind the collection.

Yeah, good point. You can also specify multiple temporal intervals, but there will be no connection between bboxes and intervals, indeed.