Sentinel1_grd

Hello,

I just wanted to know why SENTINEL1_GRD collection is not working.

When I try to query the data :

I get a this error :

OpenEO batch job failed: Exception during Spark execution: Sentinel Hub returned an error response: HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request with body: {“error”:{“status”:400,“reason”:“Bad Request”,“message”:“Requested band ‘HV’ is not present in Sentinel 1 tile ‘S1A_IW_GRDH_1SDV_20230517T051224_20230517T051249_048569_05D787_8E4C’ returned by criteria specified in dataFilter parameter.”,“code”:“RENDERER_S1_MISSING_POLARIZATION”}}

Then I tried to launch the same graph without HV, and I get the same error but for HH.

Finally I did a last test specifying only ‘VV’ and ‘VH’ polarizations. The job finished without error but it s not possible to vizualize/download it.

Any tips ?

Thanks for answering.

BEHLOUL Selim

Hi Selim,

Could you provide the process graph?

Hello Jan,

Here is the JSON associated to the graph with the last case, that is to say when I specify only for VV and VH polarizations :

{
“process_graph”: {
“load1”: {
“arguments”: {
“bands”: [
“VV”,
“VH”
],
“id”: “SENTINEL1_GRD”,
“spatial_extent”: {
“east”: 14.3537681,
“north”: 40.916123,
“south”: 40.7912976,
“west”: 14.1320999
},
“temporal_extent”: [
“2023-05-01T04:14:15Z”,
“2023-05-31T00:00:00Z”
]
},
“process_id”: “load_collection”
},
“save2”: {
“arguments”: {
“data”: {
“from_node”: “load1”
},
“format”: “GTIFF”
},
“process_id”: “save_result”,
“result”: true
}
}
}

Re: the process graph with VV and VH bands:

This is a bug on our end that’s being fixed. I’m not sure how tech-savvy you are but there are workarounds to download its results, should you need them.

Re: missing HV and HH bands:

Here’s some valuable info: https://github.com/openEOPlatform/architecture-docs/issues/155

S1 never acquires images with all polarization. There is general schema that HH/HV is acquired over the poles and VV/VH is aquired elsewhere (see graphic on the observation scenarios here). Unfortunately locally different modes and polarization are possible.

So if you don’t specify a band filter in your process graph, you implicitly request all bands but that’s not generally possible. The error message gives an indication on how to fix your process graph:

Closing this as we improve the error reporting and are now returning something more meaningful that indicates clearly to the user where the error in his request is/was. This should enable the user to debug his pg himself and try with a different band.

Maybe @daniel.thiex can chip in.

Not much to add here besides from what you already wrote (that we should fix the bug and that there are workarounds).

@selim.behloul If you let us know for which AOI and which time-span you are looking for S1 data I can share a pg with you that should work already.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer @jan.van.den.bosch about polarizations, it makes sense.

@daniel.thiex I don’t mind to get the data with your method but isn’t any other way to get it from OpeneEO ? I tried it again this morning for Napoli, then for Genoa spatial extent and I still get the same error.

I am looking for Sentinel 1 GRD data for the area of Napoli for the whole month of May either 2022 or 2023.

“spatial_extent”: {
“east”: 14.3537681,
“north”: 40.916123,
“south”: 40.7912976,
“west”: 14.1320999
}

@selim.behloul, a quick fix has been applied so this should at least allow you to view and download the results for the original process graph (VV/VH). Note that this does not fix your original batch job; you’ll have to run it again.

Internal ref: raster:bands statistics produce invalid JSON · Issue #471 · Open-EO/openeo-geopyspark-driver · GitHub

I confirm that it works now. Thank you Jan